Today I want to talk about obesity.
Obesity is a pretty big problem right now. It’s not just some small blip on the radar, it is pretty bad as a matter of fact.
Don’t believe me? Here are some shocking numbers:
- In the last 16 years, obesity has increased at alarming rates. 39 states have seen an increase in obesity of between 50- 80%. WOW!
- Since 1995, obesity rates in Oklahoma, Alabama, and Tennessee have gone up the fastest.
- Washington, D.C., Colorado, and Connecticut have seen obesity rise the least.
- Ten years ago there were no states with an obesity rate above 24%, now 43 states have higher obesity rates than the highest in 2000.
- Diabetes rates have increased in ten states by 200% in the past 15 years.
- Hypertension has increased from 22 – 26% in the last 15 years.
- In 1980, less than 50% of Americans were overweight; today that number is more than 65% and growing.
- 1/3 of all children today will eventually suffer from diabetes.
- It is estimated that by 2020, half of all Americans will have chronic disease.
What is wrong with us when…
80% of preventable disease risk factors are influenced by positive behaviors like:
- Regular exercise
- Good nutritional habits
- Limit alcohol consumption
- Quit smoking
How can something so simple be so devastating? Well, it is not easy BUT IT IS POSSIBLE. Start making changes now!
Share the statistics with your loved ones.
Article credit: thehealthcoachgroup.com